Re: Woody???

* Mattias Berg (skitarne@hotmail.com) spake thusly:
> I'l need to dist-upgrade to woody due kernelchange.. didn't work.. totally
> fuck'd up my server... Try'd to reinstall debian and try with unstable...
> didn't work.. totally fuck'd up my server...
>
> What the hell are you doing over there? Debian used to be a stable and
> trustable distribution (95% even with unstable dist-upgrade) for just about
> a year ago..
>
> I have been running debian since i was 18 years old.. (i'm 23 now)..
> But i will search for a more stable distribution.. Debian sucks big time..

I also used Debian for half a decade, and I don't like where it
is going any more that you do. However,
1. I have to babysit RedHat boxen at work, and trust me, RH is
worse than Woody.
2. I looked for a distro that sucks less than Debian and
concluded that there isn't one -- if you have plenty of time,
you coud build an LFS system the way you like... but who's got
the time?

Dist-upgrade to woody works fine on a *minimal* potato system
(i.e. install base system, edit apt sources, update pakage
lists, upgrade apt, dpkg et al., run dist-upgrade). I never
tried it on a fully-configured production box, but I wouldn't
be surprised if that didn't work all that well.

Repeat after me: all software sucks.

Dima
--
Riding roughshod over some little used trifle like the English language is not a
big deal to an important technology innovator like Microsoft. They did just that