Re: mounting a RAID array

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 05:16:47PM -0700, Paul Yeatman wrote:
> Hi, I recently installed a RAID controller on a pc and set up within
> the controller's BIOS an array out of two disks using RAID level 1.
> This all went well.  Then I booted the system.  The system sees the
> two drives I RAID'd as individual IDE drives.  I'm completely new to
> RAID and am having problems find documentation to answer my questions.
> How do I mount the array (vs. either of the individual drives)?

This isn't going to be what you want to hear and it may not apply to
your situation, but...

A lot of the lower-end PC RAID controllers out there (including, it
appears, all of the controllers that come integrated on PC
motherboards) don't do real hardware RAID.  They provide extra IDE
channels and a few controller-specific commands, but rely on the
Windows driver to do the actual work of RAID for them.

If you have one of these controllers, you may as well return it and
just get a standard IDE card instead[1].  The linux kernel's
implementation of software RAID is better than what those controllers
give you (or so I've read).  And it's reasonably well-documented in
the Software-RAID-HOWTO.

[1]  Or not, depending on whether you need the extra IDE channels -
remember that you rarely, if ever, want to put more than one IDE drive per
channel (no slave drives), and that goes double if you're RAIDing them.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss