Re: The latest round of antivirus bouncebacks

begin  ben quotation:

> how about a stipulation that attachments also be plain text only? does that
> negatively encroach on pgp signatures in any way?

Depends on how you define "plain text".  After all:

aslf;kjasdr;lfkjasf;lkjasf;kljasfl;kjasdflk;asjflak;sdjfasdfkl;j

is plain text.  ms-tnef Word documents that are unreadable garbage on
any platform except Windows are "plain text".  UUencoded documents are
plain text.

That's why the definition either has to be complicated, or broad.  It
cannot be both simple and specific, because any simple definition that
excludes ms-tnef message bodies also excludes config files.

Personally, I prefer broad definitions to "all-inclusive" ones, backed
up by a combination of gentle reminders from a moderator and flames from
the denizens of the list.

--
Shawn McMahon                    | Information may want to be free, but fiber
http://www.eiv.com               | optic cable wants to be one million US