Re: Printers, and Samba, and Swat (oh my!)

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 23:50:34 -0700
"Brian W. Carver" <brianwcarver@yahoo.com> wrote:
> My problem now that swat is working is that I don't understand samba
> users and passwords versus other usernames and passwords.  For
> example, I can now see the debian machine from my windows machines,
> but if I try to access it, then it asks for a password (not allowing
> me to choose a username) and none of the passwords that I've set up in
> swat will work.  Also, it seems you cannot have a samba user unless
> there is first such a user on your debian machine.  But I'm the one
> who uses all those computers, so why should I have to create myself
> several different accounts?

The Woody system I set up at the school I work in is acting as a PDC on
a network composed of 8 Windows 2000 machines, serving shares, printers
and roaming profiles for the users. I did have to create a unix account
for each user so authentication would work, but I think in your case
using the guest account and "guest ok" options where appropriate in the
smb.conf file would do the trick. I didn't use swat, though, just plain
old vi...

Another way to go for you would perhaps be to set security to "share"
instead of "user", though I wouldn't go that way.

> Also, as far as I can tell the printer still doesn't work from the
> debian machine it is itself connected to, but I fear to try since last
> time it ran through blank pages non-stop until I pulled the plug.
> (Plus, so far as I know I haven't done anything that should make it
> work yet.)

Not sure what you mean here. Are you trying to print from a Windows
machine and not succeeding? I had this problem because my printing
system (lprng) didn't accept jobs from non-existent users, so it was
solved when all users were added to the passwd file.

The print jobs are sent as-is to the printer because Windows already
uses the appropriate drivers, so no printtool or other filters are
required.

Hope I got you right. Good luck.

--
Carlos Sousa