Re: Printers, and Samba, and Swat (oh my!)

I got swat working with a little off-list help.

1) apt-get install swat

(That first step makes you feel dumb, but samba docs talk as if swat is included
in samba.  It ain't.)

2) Once you install swat you'll learn in "info swat" that you have to uncomment a
line at the end of your new inetd.conf file that activates swat.

3) Then either restart inetd or reboot.

4) Now http://192.168.0.1:901/ (or whatever your address is) will work.

My problem now that swat is working is that I don't understand samba users and
passwords versus other usernames and passwords.  For example, I can now see the
debian machine from my windows machines, but if I try to access it, then it asks
for a password (not allowing me to choose a username) and none of the passwords
that I've set up in swat will work.  Also, it seems you cannot have a samba user
unless there is first such a user on your debian machine.  But I'm the one who
uses all those computers, so why should I have to create myself several different
accounts?

Also, as far as I can tell the printer still doesn't work from the debian machine
it is itself connected to, but I fear to try since last time it ran through blank
pages non-stop until I pulled the plug.  (Plus, so far as I know I haven't done
anything that should make it work yet.)

--
Brian W. Carver