Re: The latest round of antivirus bouncebacks

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 11:16:53PM +0200, adam wrote:
| okay, I expected a bit more tolerance from debian users - I've just
| unsubscribed.
| sorry for having bothered you . . .

Apology accepted for bothering us.  You don't need to unsubscribe
because of it.  The bother actually made me patch it on my end by
filtering out those messages so I (hopefully :-)) won't see it next
time.  It would be much better for you to stay on the list, learn more
about debian/linux, and through example convince your company of the
merits of debian.

As you may guess, I use debian on my personal machine and I also have
it on a laptop on loan from my previous co-op job.  The admin at my
current co-op uses redhat on the servers.  He has used slackware and
debian before, and isn't wholly against other distros, he just wants
to standardize on one.  I used my debian boxes for my development and
testing of some zope and postgres stuff.  When it was ready for
deployment I obtained a rh box to use for building packages.  It was a
PITA, and it was obvious too -- I had to spend lots of time compiling
stuff and searching for current and compatible versions of packages.
I managed to get postgres up and running and hadn't even tackled zope
yet.  He started upgrading the postgres on the server (was 7.0 and
wasn't used much) to 7.2 and found a zope binary tarball and installed
it.  Then we had "fun" trying to get python and pygresql and
zope-pygresqlda and the dependencies together on the rh servers.  When
he asked me where I got the zope db adapter, I simply smiled and said
"the debian package repository".  He made a comment today that he
might like to try debian again, having seen how much I was able to do
with it in with such ease (wrt package management).  I found a bare
PII system that I can work on outfitting with debian to put it to the
test :-).  The moral of the story is that flamewars aren't necessary,
just the example that debian is able to meet requirements with ease
and stability will suffice.

-D

--

"Don't use C;  In my opinion,  C is a library programming language
 not an app programming language."  - Owen Taylor (GTK+ developer)