[OT] Re: The latest round of antivirus bouncebacks

"Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> writes:
> on Wed, Apr 10, 2002, Shawn McMahon (smcmahon@eiv.com) wrote:
> > Perhaps it's time to start refusing list posts from Outlook Express.
> >
> > That'd eliminate 99% of the "unsubscribe" stupidity, as well.
>
> I respond to the address, postmaster@address, and
> listmaster@lists.debian.org with the following.  Manually, haven't
> procmailed it yet:
>
>     Postmaster@lame.site:  Configure your autoresponder to reply to
>     envelope sender, not the thousands of subscribers of mailing lists.
>

>     listmaster@lists.debian.org:  can we please have all subscribers
>     from lame.site removed from all Debian mailing lists.
>

> Subscribers behind AV filters and Exchange servers are put on notice.

First I should qualify what I write with the fact that I'm behind a
"lame.site" and it appears our mailer did in fact spam debian-user.

Okay, with that said, isn't a bit much, and I'm being kind here, to
insist that those of us behind exchange servers are removed from the
list? I have no choice in the matter and in such a large org as mine
my email to postmaster isn't likely to be paid much attention (and I
tried).

I'm not a super contributor to the list, but I *have* made
contributions (search Google groups (http://groups.google.com) for
authored posts with my last name. First post 1996. Number of posts
~500). Additionally I've been using Debian for a *long* time and like
to think I can be of assistance to users of this list. And you're
asking that I be removed because of 1 virus alert email that got sent
to the list from my corporate server?

I could understand if things were out of hand, eg., 20 or so
messages/day, but for 3 in the last, what, 2, 3 weeks? Shoot, I didn't
even notice the virus alerts until I started following this thread,
which, incidentally, has a lot more posts than the original bounces
from virus scanners that I saw.

> Peace.

Hmm. Irony?

Gary