Re: Growing File Count with apt-get/dpkg

On 10-Apr-2002 James A. Lupo wrote:
> I've been using apt-get/dpkg for some time, tracking the "unstable"
> distribution.  I've noticed that the number of files reported by dpkg
> grows continuously.  The file count has grown continuously till now
> its over 104,000.  Disk space utilization increases with each update
> as well.
>
> Is this normal behavior?
>
> Any way to clean things up?  Things like --forget-old-unavail don't seem
> to help.

perhaps because unstable grows as well?  There is a package called 'deborphan'
which attempts to tell you of packages you have installed but nothing dpends
on.  There is also 'cruft' which tries to report files on your system not
provided by any currently installed package.  If you are truly concerned of
"garbage" on the system, check these out.