Re: accented characters in linux/Debian?

Sorry I lost the debian-user thread and the specific subject-line, but
here goes:

> > Carlos Sousa <csousa@tvtel.pt> wrote in message
> > news:<[🔎] 20020402205659.0b38b524.csousa@tvtel.pt>...

> > > This is my case exactly. Even typing on an xterm yields the
> > > correct accented characters, it's only Openoffice that's
> > > misbehaving. I've already posted twice to their discuss list, but
> > > didn't get any conclusive answers yet.

I finally got an answer, and it worked: just set the LANG and LC_ALL
environment variables to pt_PT@ISO-8859-1 (Portugal, in my case). I
still don't understand why accented characters work with any other
application even with LANG set to C, as it was before... And I don't
really want to change locales anyway, I want my system in English, but I
can live with a temporary change if that means being able to use OOo.

This whole thing smells like a font problem...

> > > A curiosity, though, that might be related: I can type the
> > > euro-sign in Openoffice, but NOWHERE else under X or in the
> > > console!

After reading euro-support, I finally managed to type and see the
euro-symbol on the console. Under X I still can't type it (with the
already mentioned exception of Openoffice), but I can see it. I really
can't understand what's happening, because when I use xev and I type the
AltGr+E combination, it reports:

KeyPress event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x2400001,
    root 0x36, subw 0x0, time 524986747, (617,-180), root:(621,184),
    state 0x2010, keycode 26 (keysym 0x20ac, EuroSign), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""

So the systems knows I want an EuroSign, but apparently can't map it to
a symbol?

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002 20:21:09 -0700 (PDT) Geo wrote:
> > BUMBLEBEE BUZZ:
> >
> >   Curious whether you've used these packages:
> >
> >   [http://packages.debian.org/testing/misc/user-euro-es.html]
> >   [http://packages.debian.org/testing/misc/euro-support.html]
> >   [http://packages.debian.org/testing/misc/euro-support-x.html]
> >   [http://packages.debian.org/testing/misc/euro-support-console.htm
> >   l][http://packages.debian.org/testing/tex/tetex-eurosym.html]

Yep.

> >   P.S. Do TrueType fonts for OpenOffice work outside OpenOffice for
> >   you (other than the Euro symbol)?

You mean, adding /home/carlos/OpenOffice.org641/share/fonts/truetype to
the X font dirs, and then try to use the opens___.ttf font? Haven't
tried, but what would that accomplish?

--
Carlos Sousa