Stuck: "EXT2-fs warning: ..."

Hello,

Its my first post to the list. TIA for the help.

I am afraid my Debian installation is hosed, and I have no idea what I've done. I have made SOME hardware changes to my multiboot (WinNT/98/GNU-Linux) system. That's clue one. Symptoms of trouble are that I get a kernel message at boot time saying "EXT2-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended."

I own 4 books on Linux (one Debian-specific) and I do not find anything anywhere about a "maximal mount count." Can someone please interpret this for me and tell me how I might go about fixing it?

My Debian is basically a lot of Woody[Testing] packages installed on a Potato kernel. My fstab does this:

device              mtpt   fs type
/dev/hda4   ->  /          ext2
/dev/hda8   ->  /var     ext2
/dev/hda6   -> none     swap
/proc          ->  /proc    proc
/dev/hda7  ->   /usr     ext2

And that's all. Seemingly I cannot successfully mount anything else once logged in, either: not a new hd partition (like a msdos partition) nor my scsi ZIP drive. The exception is I think I got a scsi cdrom mounted ok last night. Otherwise I get an error message (which sez any one of a number of different things might be wrong, and maximal mount count exceeded is one of them).

   Hopefully,
    Soren Andersen

--
The makefiles which eventually result from using 'automake' 1.5x are monstrosities. Sheer hellish madness. Several dozen targets, named obscene things like "am_remake_your_mother"; utterly counter-intuitive, buried in 4 or 5 levels of indirection, swamped in a thousand lines of baffling, migraine-inducing auto-generated superfluity. [These] Makefiles  ought to be taken out and bled to death slowly, shot, burned, staked through the heart, generally Buffy-ated to the maximum possible extent.
    -- Soren Andersen (me) in