Re: Stuck: "EXT2-fs warning: ..."

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 04:45:15PM +0000, Soren Andersen wrote:
| Hello,
|
| Its my first post to the list. TIA for the help.
|
| I am afraid my Debian installation is hosed, and I have no idea what
| I've done. I have made SOME hardware changes to my multiboot
| (WinNT/98/GNU-Linux) system. That's clue one. Symptoms of trouble
| are that I get a kernel message at boot time saying "EXT2-fs
| warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is
| recommended."

In the superblock of your ext2 filesystem is a counter.  Every time
you mount the fs the counter is incremented.  When it reaches the
maximum mount count (which is also stored in the superblock) you will
get a message like that.  A debian should run e2fsck automatically
during the boot process.  If you want to run it manually (recommended
right now), then boot a rescue disk (so that you don't try mounting
the fs) and run
    e2fsck /dev/hda4

HTH,
-D

--

A wise servant will rule over a disgraceful son,
and will share the inheritance as one of the brothers.