Re: chrooted debian install from base image (was re: instalation question: toshiba tecra 8000)

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 11:03:33AM +0200, eduard bloch wrote:
> karsten m. self wrote on sat apr 06, 2002 um 08:52:50pm:
> >   - tar the partition to be converted to altnernate storage (if you've
> >     created a fair number of partitions, you can "park" it elsewhere --
> >     e.g.:  /home or /usr, usually).  for /usr, archived to /home:
> >
> >      $ tar czvf /home/usr.tar.gz /usr
>
> no. do not use tar with this simply call. you will loose parts of
> metadata, ie. directory permissions. Also note that there was a feature
> (I forgot which) that tar cannot handle correctly. Should not be a

FUD (IMHO)  He is calling tar as root, so the defaults are different,
no need to specify same-owner etc.  And that feature tha is missing is
the ability to extract hardlinked files by any name.  Only the first
name will work, but this is okee as the next name will only be linked
to the first, and that one is extracted if you extract all in one go.

>  --one-file-system -p -s --same-owner  --numeric-owner --sparse

Maybe --sparse and --one-file-system might be usefull, but I would
rather trust the names of owners and not their numbers to remain
the same over different debian distributions.  Ofcourse it would be
advisable to first copy/adjust /etc/passwd etc.

> >      $ tar tzvf /home/usr.tar.gz
> >
> >    ...the exit value ($?) should be 0.
>
> Don't forget to call this from /.

Yes, and consider using tar's -C option for this.

> >      $ cd /
> >      $ tar xzvf /home/usr.tar.gz

> Additional options needed, see above.

I doubt it, see above.