Re: Building a single user Internet terminal

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 02:00:04PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> > Have the whole system use ext3. Have no shutdown at all (just switch it
> > off like a stereo)

> I'm going to say DON'T DO THIS as well.

> This isn't what ext3fs is designed to prevent or protect against.

> You can speed shutdown by not running services.  You can also reduce the
> 'sleep 5' value in /etc/init.d/single to something shorter, say, 2, to
> shave a few seconds off the shutdown time.

> If you want a system that's largely immune to hard kills, your best bet
> is a JWZ NFS boot mentioned previously, or to use a bootable GNU/Linux
> image á la LNX-BBC.  The latter includes instructions on customizing the
> build, and the image can be loaded from disk (or network) rather than CD
> if necessary.

Thanks for this. What I originally was looking for, is a way for kiosk
users to shut down the system cleanly from the GUI.
What works now is: CTRL + q (shuts down Galeon and X) and CTRL + ALT +
DEL (does 'shutdown -h') and power off.
No too elegant, but does seem to work ;-)

With kind regards.

--
  Erik van der Meulen <e.van.der.meulen@avondel.nl>