Re: Building a single user Internet terminal

On Sun, 2002-04-07 at 21:30, Erik van der Meulen wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 08:44:06PM +0800, Crispin Wellington wrote:
>
> > Have a script that starts X for a certain user and begins galeon. Run
> > this as a respawn process under /etc/inittab. Make a certain runlevel be
> > kiosk mode (the default). Make other run levels the admin mode (normal
> > logins etc).
>
> Thanks a lot for your prompt answer! It sounds pretty much like what I
> want. I have tried to follow your advice and came across one or two
> little issues.
>
> > /etc/inittab line something like
>
> > ki:2:respawn:su -c /usr/local/bin/runkiosk kioskuser
>
> I have replaced the line:
>
>   l2:2:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 2

leave the standard rc scripts in there. Make sure that xdm/gdm/kdm is
not started via symlinks from /etc/rc2.d. Add the respawn in as an extra
runlevel 2 respawn.

Heck, come to think of it, you could make an /etc/init.d/kiosk script
that starts the kiosk, and stick it at the end of the rc2 startup.

> in the inittab with your suggestion, in the hope that would do the
> required.
>
> > /usr/local/bin/runkiosk could basically just startx, and let kioskusers
> > .Xsession file do the rest.
>
> Also I have made this, only containing 'startx'.
> Now if I reboot, I see no X, but a message repeating:
>
>   X: user not authorised to run the X server, aborting.

The su -c command should change to a acceptable user. Interesting error.
If you change su -c /usr/local/bin/runkiosk kioskuser to su -c
/usr/local/bin/runkiosk root, does it work? (not that thats a solution,
just helps in locating the problem)

> And a few more lines. I think I understand what is happening, but am not
> too sure how to fix it.
>
> > Perhaps try running it without any WM at all. Use -geometry to make
> > galeon fullscreen.
>
> That is something I would like to experiment with, but am not able to
> picture how to do it. The 'alternatives' system allows me to switch
> between IceWM and TWM, but not do without at all.

Your .Xsession would be just 'galeon -geometry 1024x768+0+0'. No window
manager at all.

> > > - Provide some means for a user to safely shut down the system prior
> > >   to power-down (preferably from the GUI)
>
> > Have the whole system use ext3. Have no shutdown at all (just switch it
> > off like a stereo)
>
> That would be brilliant. But again (sorry about my ignorance) I do not
> really now how to get there. I seem to recall that the default install
> (Woody and upgrade to Sid right after) does not have ext3 support.
> Suppose a kernel rebuild would be required? Also, I have two partitions,
> large root and a small boot (and swap also). I think I have read
> sometime that /boot needed to be ext2... Further, is there a command for
> converting an existing ext2 -> 3, or do I need to make a new
> installation.

If your kernel has ext3 support built in, use tune2fs to convert to
ext3. /boot can be ext3 aswell.

Crispin