Re: less and xterm

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 09:55:47 +0200, Patrik Modesto wrote:
> The problem: less and zless programs unset options 'Enable Application
> Cursor Keys' and 'Enable Application Keypad' in xterm.

I think this is what they should do.

> Every new xterm window has these options set correctly accoding to the
> .Xresources file.  After use of less or zless, these options are unset.
> :-(

Why do you want to set these options? I don't think they should normally
be set.

For instance, Mutt sets these the application cursor and keypad modes,
and one can launch less from Mutt. So, one could think that the same
problem would happen after quitting less. But IIRC, Mutt does things
concerning the terminal before starting an application and after the
application quits (I don't know exactly).

However, it may be difficult for you to do similar things automatically.
Perhaps you could write a wrapper that unsets these modes, calls less,
and sets these modes again... You could also see if there's an option
in less to tell it not to change these modes (but I don't think so, as
I searched for such an option in the past, for the opposite reason as
these modes didn't work in less + some terminal by default). I don't
know if there's a better solution.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated (X)HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International