Re: Per user info directory

Faheem Mitha <faheem@email.unc.edu> writes:

> On 7 Apr 2002, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> What is the general technique to allow users to have their own info
>> directory or at least an `dir' file that concatenates per user info
>> files into a place that allows `info whatever_software' to work.
>
> Have you looked at the texinfo manual? There is a section "Creating and
> Installing Info Files", which may be what you are looking for. See
> particularly the subsection "Installing an Info File" and then the
> sub-sub-section "Info Files in Other Directories". If you have problems,
> get back to us.

[...]

> Let me know how it works for you.

I have a fairly good idea how to do this the texinfo way, and read
with emacs.  That isn't what I'm asking about.  I tried to make this
clear but apparently it didn't come thru.

For example:  The install-info tools used by texinfo (gnu
install-info) readily creates a dir file with simple syntax.
`install-info info_file dir_file'.  Dir file will be created if it
doesn't exist.

This does not hold for debian install-info.  (near as I can tell)

Far as I see, debian defaults to its own install-info which doesn't
play by the same rules.  And I want to set this up for reading by the
stand alone info reader, not emacs.  Again there are differences.
Theoretically they should both work with some of the same techniques
but that doesn't seem to be the case so far.

What this is all about is info to include in the tramp distribution
about using install-info, and special section on using install-info on
debian.  Its different than other distributions in that regard.

I'm trying to write a patch for the tramp.info file that covers that topic.