Re: Per user info directory

On 7 Apr 2002, Harry Putnam wrote:

> What is the general technique to allow users to have their own info
> directory or at least an `dir' file that concatenates per user info
> files into a place that allows `info whatever_software' to work.

Have you looked at the texinfo manual? There is a section "Creating and
Installing Info Files", which may be what you are looking for. See
particularly the subsection "Installing an Info File" and then the
sub-sub-section "Info Files in Other Directories". If you have problems,
get back to us.

Note that it looks like you are going to have to create your own local dir
file for use with your local info files installation, though I am no
expert on this and have never actually done it myself. This will be merged
with the main dir file. Note however, this is probably not a big deal,
because, as the manual suggests, you can just use the standard dir file
and modify it to suit your needs.

Let me know how it works for you.
                                                     Faheem.