Re: debian reinstallation

On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 09:30:20PM +0200, Hanspeter Roth wrote:
>   On Apr 06 at 09:29, Vivek G. Bharathan spoke:
>
> > So I installed Debian in February and I've just discovered that my /usr
> > partition is much too small. I'd like to somehow set apt and dselect to
>
> If you have appropriate spare space you may try parted.
>
> -Hanspeter

I have used parted just recently to expand my /usr partition at the
expense of /tmp, which was right next to it.

Better yet, you could easily create another mount point. For e.g., if
your /usr/doc folder was the really big one, and you had spare space,
create a mount point for /usr/doc, perhaps calling it
/usr/doc/newbigpartition.

Then move the files over from /usr/doc, and change /usr/doc to be a
symlink (hard links won't work across partitions) to
/usr/doc/newbigpartition.

Reinstalling Debian is rather serious and unnecessary.

And yes, there are plenty of ways of getting around the problem when
your partiton needs more space.

-Andy