Re: ssh and remote X apps syntax question

On Sat, 2002-04-06 at 14:00, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Sat, Apr 06, 2002, Patrick Kirk (patrick@kirks.net) wrote:
> > Hi all,
>[snip]

> I suspect quoting and/or shell boundary issues.

I suspect you are right but still don't know how to remedy it.

> How about scripting the ssh component:

>     $ aterm -fn 9x15 -rv -ls -e ./ssh-evolution

Silently dies after password entered.

> I'm having luck with the following:
>
>     $ aterm -rv -ls -e ssh localhost \( fortune\; sleep 5 \)

aterm -rv -ls -e ssh enterprise \( enterprise\; sleep 5 \) works in that
it fires up Evolution and keeps it it up.  Insert "&" after the
evolution command and it dies...the sleep command never gets executed.

Its for my wife and ideally I'd like to have a little script that I can
give an icon to and put it on the Gnome taskbar.  Having the aterm open
works but it is ugly.

Thank you for making it work at least.  If you have any thoughts on what
words I feed to Google to get an answer to this, please do let me know.

Patrick