Re: ssh and remote X apps syntax question

on Sat, Apr 06, 2002, Patrick Kirk (patrick@kirks.net) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to write a little program that runs the following commands:
> 1. On locahost, " "/usr/bin/aterm -rv -trsb -fn 9x15 -loginShell -title
> PHASAR"
> 2. Within aterm "ssh -l user otherhost"
> 3. On otherhost, "evolution"
>
> Effort so far:
> "aterm -fn 9x15 -rv -ls -e ssh -f enterprise evolution" which opens an
> aterm, connects, prompts for a password and promptly dies without a hint
> of what its problem might be.
>
> "aterm -fn 9x15 -rv -ls" followed by "ssh -f enterprise evolution" works
> perfectly but I can't seem to beidge the two commands.

I suspect quoting and/or shell boundary issues.

How about scripting the ssh component:

    $ cat <<EOF > ssh-evolution
    #!/bin/bash
    ssh -f enterprise evolution
    EOF

    $ chmod +x ssh-evolution

    $ aterm -fn 9x15 -rv -ls -e ./ssh-evolution

...where's that get you?

I'm having luck with the following:

    $ aterm -rv -ls -e ssh localhost \( fortune\; sleep 5 \)

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>           http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
   zIWETHEY: A hell of a way to travel the planet.