Re: What happened to anXious?

On 5 Apr 2002, Steve Juranich wrote:

> What happened to anXious?  I can't find a package for it anywhere.
>
> Now that it's gone, is there another easy-to-use X configurator out there?
> For some reason, xf86config won't do the right thing.  I'm running sid with a
> 2.4 kernel and XFree86 4.1.  I have an ATI Radeon 7200, and radeon.o is in
> /usr/X11/lib/modules/dri/ (or whatever, I'm at work so I'm doing this from
> memory).  However, xf86config won't even let me choose ATI Radeon as one of
> the supported cards under XF864.1, even though I know that it is.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated, even if it's a weblink or an RTFM reference.
> I've googled for this for a week and can't come up with anything useful.

I'm surprised you haven't. The new configurator is integrated into debconf
for the package xserver-xfree86. So you need to first get all the xserver
stuff ("apt-get install x-window-system" is probably the simplest). You
should be asked questions as part of the xserver-xfree86 setup, but if you
want to rerun it, of course you can do

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

I actually found that X configuration works pretty well with this, and
better than in potato. You might want to make sure you have all the
necessary information before you do this, including the right driver for
your card, the amount of memory it has, the preferred resolution (you'll
probably want to experiment here) and the horizontal and vertical
sync/refresh frequencies for your monitor. Note that when you get started
debconf will ask you whether you want to manage the X config file using
debconf. You will probably want to say yes, but note if you rerun debconf
on it then any manual changes you have made to the config file may be
overwritten.

                                                     HTH, Faheem.