2 apt questions about the mirror archives

I have been using a script to update my machine every few days to keep
it up to date.  The only problem is that lately I have been noticing
that none of my packages have been updating.  I thought that maybe this
was a result of non-us to main change over, but it doesnt make sense.
When ever I would go to install a package I could do an apt-get update 2
seconds before and apt-get would still be unable to find some of the
packages I was trying to install.  Then I would do another apt-get
update and it could find the packages then.  I thought this was really
weird.  Then last night my script ran again and a bunch of packages were
needing to be upgraded.  Now my script attempted to download them all,
but a bunch of them were unfetchable.  I thought this was super weird so
I added the main archive at ftp.us.debian.org to my sources.list file
and everything came through just fine.  I have been using
debian.rutgers.edu for my source and before that I was using
debian.lcs.mit.edu (or something like that) but that apparently went off
the air.  I havent checked back for a while.  I was wondering if someone
knew of a good archive in the north east of the U.S. that is fast and
reliable, or is this just a problem with the mirroring system caused by
the non-us to main transition?

Also I have been using apt pinning for a while now and on my upgrade
today I noticed that apt was trying to fetch a lot of packages from
unstable.  The number of packages it was trying to fetch was slightly
disconcerting to me because I dont believe I have that many packages
from unstable.  Maybe Im wrong, but should my attached preferences file
only get packages from unstable if they arent available in testing?  Any
suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you.

--
-Peace kid
  Scott Henson	shenson2@wvu.edu

"God's the ultimate playa, so naturally He's going to have some haters,"
rapper Ice Cube said. "But these haters need to realize that  if you
mess with the man upstairs, you will get your ass smote. True dat."