Re: Re[2]: FQDN hostname

Lo, on Thursday, April 4, Alan Poulton did write:

> Thursday, April 04, 2002, 7:35:53 PM, Richard Cobbe wrote:
>
> > First question: do you want your FQDN to be
> > hotstuff.bc.hsia.telus.net? With exim, I ran into some problems with
> > that (mail for root@localhost getting sent to my ISP and so forth).  I
> > ended up giving my system a hostname that wasn't valid outside my
> > network, home.rcc.
>
> HMM! Interesting point!  No, I don't want mail for root@localhost to get
> sent to my ISP.  In that case, should I change my hostname?  Or is there
> a way to prevent it from routing to my ISP?

Actually, now that I think about it, I adjusted the exim configuration
(qualify_recipient and local_domains settings) to prevent this kind of
misdelivery; check your MTA's docs.  I think I redid the domain name
just for added safety, although there may well have been additional
reasons; I don't honestly remember.

> My etc/hosts now looks like this:
>
> 127.0.0.1 hotstuff.bc.hsia.telus.net localhost loopback hotstuff
> 192.168.43.1 hotstuff.bc.hsia.telus.net hotstuff
>
> -----
>
> I have a Dynamic IP through my ISP - should I have (or need) the second
> line?

No, probably not.  It's superfluous, as well as likely incorrect---you
may have gotten 192.168.43.1 last time you connected, but you'll
probably get a different IP next time, especially if you're using PPP.

However, since I believe gethostbyname(3) and related functions search
through the entries in /etc/hosts in order, I don't think it's doing any
harm.

Richard