Re: FQDN hostname

Lo, on Thursday, April 4, Alan Poulton did write:

> I'm slowly isolating my problems with sendmail and variants. It seems
> they're asking me for my Fully Qualified Domain Name.
>
> I've given the name of my box: hotstuff
>
> My ISP is telus.net, but they give me: bc.hsia.telus.net .. so I know my
> FQDN *should* be hotstuff.bc.hsia.telus.net
>
> But where do I enter that?

This trips a lot of people up; it's not at all clear.

First question: do you want your FQDN to be hotstuff.bc.hsia.telus.net?
With exim, I ran into some problems with that (mail for root@localhost
getting sent to my ISP and so forth).  I ended up giving my system a
hostname that wasn't valid outside my network, home.rcc.

Whatever you decide you want your FQDN to be, make sure your hostname
(as reported by /bin/hostname) is in fact `hotstuff'.  Then edit
/etc/hosts in one of the two following ways:

A) Static IP.  /etc/hosts should have at least the following two lines:

    127.0.0.1             localhost
    192.168.1.1           hotstuff.bc.hsia.telus.net hotstuff

   where 192.168.1.1 is your statically-allocated IP.  Note that your
   FQDN must be the *first* thing on the line after the IP address.

B) Dynamically-allocated IP (whether through DHCP, BOOTP, PPP, or
   another mechanism).  /etc/hosts should contain the following line:

    127.0.0.1           hotstuff.bc.hsia.telus.net localhost hotstuff

   Again, the FQDN must be the first hostname on the line.

Once you've done this, verify with `/bin/hostname --fqdn'; it should
print out hotstuff.bc.hsia.telus.net.

That should set you up.

HTH,

Richard