sendmail?

Hi everyone

I seem to be running into problems.. I posted here recently about how I
lost the command, "mail" and someone was kind enough to let me know how
to reinstall it. That worked great.

But since then, "root" hasn't been getting any mail on the system. I'm
used to seeing errors and stuff sent to root, things I can look into
fixing. I also noticed that when I "apt-get install mailx", it wants to
install zmailer-ssl as well.

Should I use sendmail? zmailer? something else?

I am running a router/firewall and don't have any need for it to send
mail over the internet. But I DO want to know about errors that happen
when I'm not looking. So, I understand I need some sort of mail program,
but only locally. I also don't want something that can potentially be a
security risk. I am the only person who has, or wants, access to the
Linux computer as well.

And, finally, if you have a suggestion for a mailer to use, a link to a
site that has proper install instructions would be appreciated. I
understand that there are certain configuration options that need to be
set and so forth, so I want to get it running without error. That is, if
it requires something more than a simple apt-get. =]

Thanks for the help!

--
  - Alan Poulton (apoulton@telus.net) -
A man is only a man, but a good bicycle is a ride.