update-rc.d not found in PATH during upgrade

I'm trying to install a fresh woody system.

What I did was a base install of potato on a Pentium II PC. I used the compact 1.44 floppies for i386, and installed the base via NFS from a Mac that's running debian unstable. I didn't select any software packages to install, but I let the potato installation complete without any of the optional packages and then rebooted.

Then I tried using the "go-woody" script that I found on the debian website to move my installation to woody. Let's see it's at:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/quick-reference/examples/go-woody

For the most part this went well, and ran for a long time. One concern I had was that util-linux was removed with a stern warning, and the upgrade continued for a long time without it. I received periodic messages about being unable to exec modprobe.

But then it stopped with this message:

dpkg: `update-rc.d' not found in PATH

and the script terminated. It says something about certain directories like /sbin needing to be in root's path, and they all are, as I can see by typing "echo $PATH".

I think it was running the apt-get dist-upgrade that's at the end of the go-woody script.

I tried running dpkg manually, for example dpkg -i util-linux, and I get the same error. If I go into dselect and tell it to configure pending packages I get that error.

I fear that my installation is wedged.  I am afraid to reboot.  Help me!

Thanks,

Mike

PS. I've been using Debian unstable on Mac/PowerPC for some time now, but this is the first time I've installed debian at all on x86. I've been using slackware for years. So I'm experienced with Linux and x86, but only modestly so with debian installation.
--
Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com/