Re: X resources the Debian way

on Sun, Mar 31, 2002, Balazs Javor (jb3@freemail.hu) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How does one set some individual application properties the Debian
> way?

Systemwide:  /etc/X11/Xresources/

User:  ~/.Xdefaults or the directory that was supposed to replace it --
~/.app_defaults/ or something like that.

> If I start a console application from the Debian menues it will by
> default start in a maximized terminal window.

> Allthough what environment that terminal has I'm not quite sure of,
> as mc startc in black and white by default (without the -c switch)
> whereas it starts in color mode if I start it from within a 'normal'
> gnome or xterm.

Note that GNOME apps don't adhere to the Xt toolkit, and don't respect X
resource values.  This is something of a PITA.

Not sure why mc does what it does when it does, but I've noted that too.

> I have set my default Gnome Terminal properties to some nice values,
> which I don't want to change just for mc, but could I set separate
> values for starting specific applications?  e.g start in a maximized
> window and also the font size to use ...

Look into the -name directive (this is something I only learned in
recent months).

    $ man X

...for slightly more information.

> I'm not an X expert, but I think this is supposed to be done with
> some Xresources somehow...

Depends on the app.  X resources are somewhat a legacy tool these days.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>           http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
   The Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act: