kernel not booting

I just compiled a new 2.4.19-pre4-ac3 kernel.  Now I have been compiling
kernels for quite a long time, and Im not sure why its not booting.  It
gets all the way to where it displays "Init version 2.84" or something
to that affect, then it hard locks and wont respond to any input.  I
know this is too early in the boot process to expect the system to be
able to do much, but it doesnt even print out an error message.  I am
using Debian GNU/Linux 3.0(woody) with a bunch of sid packages as well.
I used the kernel packager and I didnt see any errors durring the
compilation.  Anyone have any ideas?

--
-Peace kid
  Scott Henson	shenson2@wvu.edu

"God's the ultimate playa, so naturally He's going to have some haters,"
rapper Ice Cube said. "But these haters need to realize that  if you
mess with the man upstairs, you will get your ass smote. True dat."