Re: How much Linux on 1 GB hard drive?

on Sat, Mar 30, 2002, Kent West (westk@acu.edu) wrote:
> Davor Balder wrote:
>
> >G'day to all,
> >

> >I am planning to install Linux on my friends computer... I am thinking of
> >Debian Potato just for start... I think he has 4 GB hard drive... His
> >sister may be using Windoze, but he would like to start off with Linux.
> >So, my question is, what can I fit onto 1 Gig. (I am running it all on
> >comfy 20 Gig, but some people don't have such luxury...)...
> >
> >Which window manager should be deployed? :-)
> >
> >Have a great Easter break,
> >

> >Davor
> >
> If you leave it as one big / partition (plus swap partition), so that
> you don't "waste" space by having too large of a partition "here" when
> the space is needed "there", you can get a complete workstation setup
> in 1 GB. You can't expect to do any big development (the kernel source
> eats up a pretty good chunk of space, for example). You may need to be
> a bit selective to keep space free; like, you might not want to
> install both KDE and gnome.
>
> I prefer icewm because it's light, fast, and reasonably "intuitive"
> for Windows users, but you shouldn't have any reason for space to be
> the determining factor. Even if you want a full "environment" rather
> than just a wm, like KDE, space probably won't be an issue.

Advantages of icewm noted.  But you may want to be aware of current
deb-devel discussion of upstream abandonment of this WM.

More-or-less agreed on space.  The things that swamp  my /usr partition
are tetex, Perl, and xemacs.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>           http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
   Sick of mal-formed websites?  Use a stylesheet to override poor design: