Re: How much Linux on 1 GB hard drive?

Davor Balder wrote:

G'day to all,

I am planning to install Linux on my friends computer... I am thinking of Debian Potato just for start... I think he has 4 GB hard drive... His sister may be using Windoze, but he would like to start off with Linux. So, my question is, what can I fit onto 1 Gig. (I am running it all on comfy 20 Gig, but some people don't have such luxury...)...

Which window manager should be deployed? :-)

Have a great Easter break,

Davor

If you leave it as one big / partition (plus swap partition), so that you don't "waste" space by having too large of a partition "here" when the space is needed "there", you can get a complete workstation setup in 1 GB. You can't expect to do any big development (the kernel source eats up a pretty good chunk of space, for example). You may need to be a bit selective to keep space free; like, you might not want to install both KDE and gnome.

I prefer icewm because it's light, fast, and reasonably "intuitive" for Windows users, but you shouldn't have any reason for space to be the determining factor. Even if you want a full "environment" rather than just a wm, like KDE, space probably won't be an issue.

Kent