Re: Installing XFree 4.2 into non standard location - help

On Sun, 2002-03-31 at 09:57, Andreas Leitner wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-03-31 at 00:01, Bill Triplett wrote:
> > On Sat, 2002-03-30 at 08:32, Andreas Leitner wrote:
> > >
> > > I own a AIW Radeon. The card works quite nicely with XFree 4.1, but some
> > > features (TV Out, TV In, ...) will only work with X 4.2 + some special
> > > drivers from the Gatos project. For those to try I need to hand compile
> > > my own X (at least the gatos guys recommend this) and install it over my
> > > existing X.
> >
> > > Now I have downloaded the sources of X 4.2 and did a "make World" on
> > > them. But I really don't like installing X over my X 4.1 which I
> > > installed via debs. Is there a chance to install it into some non
> > > standard dir, just to try it out.
> >
> > That should do it. The real problem is when apt wants to update the
> > xfree-packages during a routine apt-get update. I've been reading the
> > manpage for apt_preferences(5), and there seems to be a way to manually
> > keep apt from upgrading certain packages. I am not sure that I
> > understand that process yet, but it is worth checking in to. Right now,
> > if I see that apt wants to upgrade the x server stuff, I will switch the
> > symlinks back to /usr/X11R6-dkpg and /etc/X11-dkpg before starting the
> > upgrade. Ugh.
>
> Hmmm, that doesn't sound much of a good idea to me. Problem is: When you
> upgrade any X application (not only X itself) it will install things in
> /usr/X11 and/or /usr/X11R6 (correct me if I am wrong), so once you
> upgrade anything you need to reinstall your x 4.2, because just renaming
> the symlinks back would result in a terribly inconsistent system.

Yes, I know what you mean. You can install it somewhere else, just
update your PATH and /etc/ld.so.conf to add the new directories so that
you will be able to work with the new dir. Just watch out for it
changing things in /etc/X11. Also, the compiled-in paths could be
changed before the compile, too. That might be a better way to do it, as
when you install the gatos drivers, it should pick up the alternate path
when it creates the Makefile from the IMakefile. I have not tried that
approach.

The reason I installed over the debian one is that I had already
installed some shared libs (like libxaw -- needed for xawtv) that I
needed. I read a some more about apt_preferences(5) and made a little
script that (i hope) is creating the proper entries in apt_preferences
that will keep apt from automatically selecting the things installed in
/usr/X11R6 for upgrade:

#!/bin/bash

for pk in `dpkg -S X11R6 | sed -e 's/[,:].*//' | sort | uniq` ;
  do v=$(dpkg --status $pk | grep "^Version" | sed -e 's/.*:[ ]*//');
  echo "Package: $pk"
  echo "Pin: version $v"
  echo "Pin-Priority: 0" ; echo
done
# cut

I tried a similar entry for xfonts-scalable-nonfree (which was just
updated) and apt did not select it for upgrade, so I'm thinking that
this will work for packages already installed. Your milage may vary...
:)

> But, thanks alot for your reply. It's good to know I am not the only one
> trying. Btw, did you try the gatos X drivers as well? Did they work for
> you?

Yes... they are working quite well. The TV playback is virtually
flawless. The capture is stil evolving, but it works for the most part.
TV-out is a little unstable right now. I had it working last night, but
the picture was a little off. It is very resolution / freq. / depth
sensitive.

Good luck...
Bill