Re: Installing XFree 4.2 into non standard location - help

On Sat, 2002-03-30 at 08:32, Andreas Leitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I own a AIW Radeon. The card works quite nicely with XFree 4.1, but some
> features (TV Out, TV In, ...) will only work with X 4.2 + some special
> drivers from the Gatos project. For those to try I need to hand compile
> my own X (at least the gatos guys recommend this) and install it over my
> existing X.

> Now I have downloaded the sources of X 4.2 and did a "make World" on
> them. But I really don't like installing X over my X 4.1 which I
> installed via debs. Is there a chance to install it into some non
> standard dir, just to try it out.

Hi.. I just did the same thing on a woody box. Here's what I'm doing to
keep 4.2.0 separate from the distro's version: -- good luck

Copy existing /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11 to something like /usr/X11R6-dkpg
and /etc/X11-dkpg. Just for good measure, I tared and gziped the
originals too. So now there is /usr/X11R6 and an /usr/X11R6-dkpg (which
are the same) and an /etc/X11 and /etc/X11-dpkg (which are also the
same)

Then, 'make install'-ed the new Xfree 4.2.0, so it basically updates the
/usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11 with the new X version.

Then, renamed /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11 (which are now updated to 4.2.0)
to /usr/X11R6-420 and /etc/X11-420

Then made symlink: /etc/X11 -> /etc/X11-420, and /usr/X11R6 ->
/usr/X11R6-420

That should do it. The real problem is when apt wants to update the
xfree-packages during a routine apt-get update. I've been reading the
manpage for apt_preferences(5), and there seems to be a way to manually
keep apt from upgrading certain packages. I am not sure that I
understand that process yet, but it is worth checking in to. Right now,
if I see that apt wants to upgrade the x server stuff, I will switch the
symlinks back to /usr/X11R6-dkpg and /etc/X11-dkpg before starting the
upgrade. Ugh.

Bill