Re: Creating local package cache with apt-move

Lo, on Sunday, March 31, Simon Hepburn did write:

> Richard Cobbe wrote:
>
> > On a related note, how come /var/lib/dpkg/available keeps getting hosed?
> > It's happened to me twice now.  The first time, I figured I was SOL and
> > re-installed from scratch (fortunately I didn't lose much).  It happened
> > again about an hour ago, but I recovered by blowing away the existing
> > copy (on the grounds that I didn't have anything to lose) and rerunning
> > `dselect update', which recreated it correctly.  What's going on here?
>
> Not sure. Did you originally create your local mirror with apt-move
> 3.x (potato version) ? Are you now using 4.x (woody version) ? If so
> you need to read /usr/share/doc/apt-move/README. There were major
> changes between 3.x and 4.x. If you have not done apt-move fsck then
> perhaps the Packages.gz apt-move creates are corrupted and this in
> turn is affecting /var/lib/dpkg/available.

No, I upgraded to woody from a brand-new, minimal potato install, so I
only started creating the mirror with apt-move 4.1.20.

I am running apt-move fsck as I type this, though, so we'll see if that
fixes the problem.

Richard