Re: mail retrieval-delivery-sorting

On 2002-03-30 18:36:07, David H. Askew wrote:
> 1) configure fetchmail to retreive the emails
> 	-I'm assuming I will have to tell fetchmail via .fetchmailrc
> 	which accounts to forward the mail to? .. or in other words..
> 	my .fetmailrc for my personal user acount will tell fetchmail
> 	what to get and who to send it to(which user acount) or will it
> 	just send the emails to the current user?

You could (smtpaddress, smtpname it seems are the configuration options
used for this), configure your MTA to accept mail destinated to
your remote accounts as local or deliver mail via procmail directly.

I use the second option myself.

> 2) setup basic exim config.
> 	-I'm going to have to tell exim to use procmail?

Yes.  Although I use postfix and you just comment one line and uncomment
another in main.cf

> 3) setup procmail rules
> 4) setup mutt to check local mail spool.

When using procmail, you probably will want to sort things into
different mailboxes (mbox or maildir) and subscribe to the various
mailing lists (lookup mailboxes and subscribe in the mutt manual, F1).

I sort mailing lists into maildirs (which I create on-the-fly with a
small script called mkdir_form_email) via a procmail rule like
this:

:0
* something that match the mailing list post address
* ? mkdir_from_email $MATCH
`mkdir_from_email $MATCH`/

and use the directory names to generate the mailbox and subsribe
command:

subscribe `find $HOME/var/mail/received/mailing_list/ -type d -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -printf '%f '; echo`
mailboxes `find $HOME/var/mail/received/mailing_list/ -type d -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -printf '%h/%f '; echo`

that way, I only need to change a procmail rule (or the mkdir_from_email
script) and not .muttrc for each mailing lists I subscribe to.

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
P.O. Box 2022