Re: Junkbusting flash ads?

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 06:08:52PM +0100, Preben Randhol wrote:
| dman <dman@dman.ddts.net> wrote on 30/03/2002 (18:05) :
| > On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 10:03:47AM -0500, christophe barbé wrote:
| > |
| > | But mozilla uses esd if available. So you can use xmms (with the esd
| > | output plugin) and play soung in mozilla in the same time.
| >
| > Yes.
| >
| > The other alternative is to try ALSA.  I've heard (but haven't tried
| > it myself as OSS+esd is sufficient for me at the moment) that it
| > allows simultaneous access to /dev/dsp.
|
| How?

I've heard it described as "non-blocking open" (or something like
that).  I don't know all the technical details at that level.

| But it doesn't help as you don't have realplayer nor flas-plugin
| that support alsa.

ESD supports ALSA (AFAIK the core of alsa goes in the kernel, thus no
userland app needs to know about it).  You can use alsa and have esd
be "just another" process that gives it data via /dev/dsp.  I also
don't think that the userland app needs to be aware of alsa at all.

If sound becomes an issue for me, and if alsa becomes easier to set
up, then I'll look into it more.  For the time being, simply checking
"SB16" in the kernel configuration and rebooting has worked
beautifully.  (I love getting ahold of a real Sound Blaster made by
Creative Labs.  They have some of the best support.  Who cares if it's
only 16bit and uses an ISA slot?  It sounds good to me on my poor
quality speakers :-))

-D

--

Failure is not an option.  It is bundled with the software.