Re: G'day - Intro (longish) - and need some help down here ...

D Haben wrote:

G'day

I'm new to DEBIAN and need some help/pointer on how to get some sort of X session going. xstart doesn't work.

<snip>

I can log in at a character session (as root) but startx fails to start as there is no config file. I had problems during the install with any X type modules (XFree86?). I don't (didn't) know the Laptop settings, hardware etc.

Found a few pages that now tell me what it is but how do I now go about installing/setting up some sort of X session provider?

Hardware Details:
COMPAQ Armada E500
128MB RAM
single CPU

From another site I found (google is cool) I think this may apply:

14" TFT screen 1024x768
PS/2 touchpad
Lucent Winmodem
Intel 440 BX chipset

Apparently I'm to use XFree86 3.3.6 (or higher) and ther is some talk about SuSE tool - whatever that is?

Unless you have need to stay with Xv3, I think you'll find that you have more success with version 4. What I would do if I were you is to change my /etc/apt/sources.list file to point to sid instead of stable/potato|testing/woody (except for the security line, which I'd leave at stable), and then do a dselect update/install. This will upgrade your entire system to the newest ("alpha") stuff (this is not something to do on a production server, but for a laptop workstation that can stand to have a couple of days (usually minor) brokenness every other upgrade or so, it's fine).

However, if you want to stay with the system you have, run one of the following tools (depending on what version of X/Debian you have) to create a configuration file:
xf86config
XF86Setup
xf86cfg
xf86cfg -textmode

Hopefully this will get you to the next stage.

Kent