Re: Upgraded to woody and printing from KDE stopped

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 08:04, Gruetzner wrote:
>   Based upon the kind advice of Steffen E., I installed apsfilter (and
> associated packages).   The Test Page prints from apsfilterconfig just
> great.  Alas, I still can't print from within KDE, getting the error
> message:
> -------------------------------
> /usr/bin/lpr -P
> 'hl1240|laserjet';r=600x600;q=high;c=full;p=letter;m=auto '-#1'
> /home/family/.kde/tmp-family/kdeprint_4h2doue: execution failed with
> message:
>
> Status Information:  sending job 'family@localhost+579' to
> hl1240|laserjet;r=600x600;q=high;c=full;p=letter;m=auto@localhost
> connecting to 'localhost',attempt 1 connected to 'localhost' requesting
> printer hl1240|laserjet;r=600x600;q=high;c=full;p=letter;m=auto@localhost
> job 'family @localhost+579' transfer to
> hl1240|laserjet;r=600x600;q=high;c=full;p=letter;m=auto@localhost failed
> error "NONZERO RFC1179 ERROR CODE FROM SERVER' with ack
> 'ACK_FAIL' sending str
> '^Bhl1240|laserjet;r=600x600;q=high;c=full;p=letter;m=auto@localhost error
> msg: 'bad printer name'
> -------------------------------------
>
>    I must admit that the printer name looks screwy, but that's what the
> venerable apsfilter came up with.  :-)
>
>   I also wonder if there's something in KDE/woody.  When installing,
> dselect reported a conflict between kghostview and  koffice-libs:
> koffice-libs recommends kghostview (>= 2.2-0), but kghostview 2.1.1-6 is
> what's in woody.
>
>    Again, thanks to Steffan for his initial help.  Alas, more is needed.

The Linux print system is changing at the moment. There are three
different systems as fare as I understand.

1. lpr: old BSD system
2. lprng: ng stands for next generation and is compatible to lpr, but
   should be more powerful
3. cups: I know little about it and I have never used it.

KDE uses cups as fare as I do understand.

The dependency problem with kghostview should be solved with current
packages from a Debian ftp site. You should get a kghostview >= 2.2.2.
When you do not find it in woody, get it from sid/unstable.

 Additionly, there seems to be somthiung wrong with the printername:
> hl1240|laserjet;r=600x600;q=high;c=full;p=letter;m=auto@localhost

It should be 'hl1240' only! Are you sure, you are using current woody
packages? I remember having this problem earlier. If you are sure, your
problems are not fixed in current woody packages report about the
problem on debian-kde list. They will know more about KDE cups as well.

Anyway, your printer system should be set up correctly now. Try to print
something using lpr directly on a postscript file or a2ps.

Make sure you have set the papersize correctly in /etc/papersize and
/etc/a2ps.cfg (or something similar).

Godd luck.

Bye, Steffen