Re: Upgraded to woody and printing from KDE stopped

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 21:54, Gruetzner wrote:
>   I did a search to see if others have had this problem, but didn't find
> any.  My apologies if I didn't use the right keywords.  I've tried to use
> the printing HOWTO, but seem to be going in circles when reading it.
>
>    I recently upgraded from potato to woody.  I did not upgrade the kernel
> (2.2.19).  My desktop is KDE.
>
>     After upgrading, I could no longer get my printer to work.  (It worked
> under potato:  I've a Brother HL-1240, and used the laserjet driver.)   I
> have since installed lprng and deleted lpr, and can now print an ascii
> file from the command line (e.g.,   lpr  testfile.txt).   I
>
>     However, when I try to print from a KDE app or from WordPerfect or
> from acrobat, I get the following type of message window popping up:
>
> --------------------
> /usr/bin/lpr -P 'lp|bhl1240|Brother HL-1240' '-#1'
> /home/family/.kde/tmp-family/kdeprint_s5dkMry: execution failed with
> message:
>
> Status Information:  sending job 'family@localhost+433' to
> lp"bhl1240|Brother HL-1240@localhost connecting to 'localhost', attempt 1
> connected to 'localhost' requesting printer lp|bhl1240|Brother
> HL-1240@localhost job 'family @localhost+433' transfer to
> lp|bhl1240|Brother HL-1240@lcoalhost failed error "NONZERO RFC1179
> ERROR CODE FROM SERVER' with ack 'ACK_FAIL' sending str
> '^Blp|bhl1240|Brother-1240' to lp|bhl1240@localhost
> error msg: 'bad command line'
> ---------------
>
>    I'm at a loss.  I'm pretty ignorant of printing arcana, but something
> must need configuring that isn't.
>
>     Oh, I've tried it with the environmental variable $PRINTER set to "lp"
> and to just nothing:  same results.   I've also tried...
>    # lpc enable all
> ...with no change.
>
>    When I run lpq, it tells me that the last job that lp@localhost printed
> was the  lpr testfile.txt, and that Filter_status: lp is ready and
> printing.   (It's lying.)   (What's this "@localhost bit?)
>
>    Running lsmod shows that lp is apparently loaded.   I didn't see
> anything that made sense to me in the /var/logs--but I may not know what
> to look for!

I have been on woody for a while, but ran my regular package upgrade
lately which stopped my printing as well.
My printer has still received data, but could not print what it got.

After spending several hours on debugging I have found out that my
current apsfilter settings (maybe you use the similar package
magicfilter) were not compatible with the current gs package
(ghostscript). After reconfigurating apsfilter with apsfilterconfig
everything has been fine again. However, it was a little bit
tricky to find a suitable printer driver that was supported in
apsfilter AND the current gs package as apsfilter has not been adjusted
to the recent changes in gs.

Maybe that helps ...

Good luck.

Bye, Steffen