Re: Debian optimized for Pentium-class CPUs?

On 29-Mar-2002 Paul F. Pearson wrote:
> Not that Woody is slow on my new 900MHz Celeron, 512MB PC, but I was
> wondering to what CPU target the precompiled distro was configured?
> Would I see a significant difference if I tried to recompile the whole
> thing optimized for the Celeron (if that's possible)? Would that be
> feasible? Should I only worry about the kernel and/or X to get the most
> speed?

As Colin points out, Debian has chosen not to do this because the gains for
most apps are negligible (5% or so).  Things like mp3 encoders/decoders and the
like that are nearly 100% CPU are where the real benefit comes.  Recompiling
glibc and X may help a little.  Both are monster apps that expect huge amounts
of disk and memory to compile though.