Debian optimized for Pentium-class CPUs?

Not that Woody is slow on my new 900MHz Celeron, 512MB PC, but I was
wondering to what CPU target the precompiled distro was configured?
Would I see a significant difference if I tried to recompile the whole
thing optimized for the Celeron (if that's possible)? Would that be
feasible? Should I only worry about the kernel and/or X to get the most
speed?

My previous machine is a Cyrix 150 (120MHz) - it has a stock Potato (pre
2.2r5, probably r4) distro installed. Linux did seem kinda slow in it
(only 40 MB RAM and ~600MB avail. HD space). COuld I get more speed out of
it by recompiling (on my new machine) Woody optimized for that processor?

Same question for a laptop - genuine Intel 90MHz Pentium with (I think) 16
MB RAM and 800 MB HD.

--
Paul F. Pearson (ppearson@hiwaay.net)     http://home.hiwaay.net/~ppearson/
"Lord heal our land. Father heal our land. Hear our cry and turn our nation