Re: Wheel Mouse

    "Robert" == Robert L <Robert_L> writes:

    Robert> On Friday 29 March 12:49, Shyamal Prasad wrote:

    >> The reason X stops working when you install (rather, start) gpm
    >> is that you probably have X and gpm reading off the same
    >> device.

    Robert> Interesting. I have them both working off the same device
    Robert> and have no such problem.  Its a usb MS optical
    Robert> (intellimouse)

Well, I was not being perfectly honest.....

On the machine that I am typing this message on it seems I can have
gpm and X co-exist quite peacefully, but I still set up X to read of
/dev/gpmdata (I installed woody on this home made machine last week,
so I figured I'd do it "right," whatever that means).

However, on a laptop I have (a Compaq Armada M300) I can't seem to get
gpm and X to share the built in PS/2 mouse, so I simply turned off GPM
in the X run levels I invented (though I could have gpm do the repeat
thing to /dev/gpmdata, frankly though, I never miss gpm).

It seems the gpm/X mouse sharing is a pretty hardware specific thing,
but I'm always open to an education on it :-)

Cheers!
Shyamal