Re: Upgraded to woody and printing from KDE stopped

On 29 Mar 2002, Gruetzner wrote:

>   I did a search to see if others have had this problem, but didn't find
> any.  My apologies if I didn't use the right keywords.  I've tried to
use
> the printing HOWTO, but seem to be going in circles when reading it.
>
>    I recently upgraded from potato to woody.  I did not upgrade the
kernel
> (2.2.19).  My desktop is KDE.
>
>     After upgrading, I could no longer get my printer to work.  (It
worked
> under potato:  I've a Brother HL-1240, and used the laserjet driver.)
> have since installed lprng and deleted lpr, and can now print an ascii
> file from the command line (e.g.,   lpr  testfile.txt).   I

Can you print a postscript file from the command line?

I would suggest throwing out lprng/lpr and trying CUPS instead. Try using
the hl1250 driver (see
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=234953 and
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_driver.cgi?driver=hl1250 ).

Note that gs 6.53 is included in woody, so this should have the hl1250 as
stated above. Note you can generate PPD files to interfact with the driver
for use with cups using the links in the hl1250 page using ppdomatic or
cupsomatic. Note you might need both of these; I'm not clear on that. See
http://www.linuxprinting.org/ppd-doc.html and
http://www.linuxprinting.org/cups-doc.html

Disclaimer: I can't guarantee this will work. CUPS works flawlessly with
Postscript printers, but with something like this it might be more flaky.

                                  Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.