Re: login via serial console respawns too fast

I think some other device is using your serial port, may be a modem device
or so. There is also a possibility that your entry in /etc/inittab is
incorrect. 'getty' is trying to restart it, but is getting killed. Check the
correctness of getty with "getty -c /etc/gettydefs"

If you have any ppp client or server configuration, take it out to close
this error!

-Ramesh

hello again,

so, i've edited my inittab to listen on ttyS0 on 9600 baud. the "id" is
T0. i keep getting "T0: repawning too fast, disabled for 5 mintues." and
i am not able to use minicom to connect to it from the other pc. i'm
sure my (only) serial port is ttyS0. any thoughts?

also, for a null modem cable... i'm using a serial (rs232?) to rj45
adapter on both sides... tried a straight cat 5 cable, read the post
about a null modem cable, then switched to a crossover cable. this did
not effect the respawning tho, it does it without anything plugged into
it!

also, there's no funky bios setting going on since i am able to use
ttyS0 to connect to the router... so the serial port does work... lsmod
didn't show any serial modules being loaded, so i tried gen_serial, but
the same still occured.

thanks,
jason