Re: Newbie, configure exim/fetchmail w/ dialup; daemon trouble.

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 11:51:41PM +0100, Steffen Evers (mldeb@forevers.de) wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 23:05, Barry Mathieu wrote:
> > Fetchmail appears to running as a daemon and executes a query for mail
> > every 300 seconds. To attempt to change this, I have a /etc/fetchmailrc
> > with the line for the daemon commented out. I have altered the line for
> > the daemon in /etc/default/fetchmail as follows:
> If you do not want fetchmail run as a daemon simply remove your
> /etc/fetchmailrc and the reular bootup scripts will notr start the
> daemon.
>
> Now, you can simply execute it from the command line.

I removed the /etc/fetchmailrc file, and issued

/etc/init.d/fetchmail stop

and then I logged in as root and issued

dpkg-reconfigure fetchmail-common

and I made sure a non system wide fetchmail setup was completed.

Then I issued a, "pon" and after a few minutes my system connects
(initiates ppp to my ISP) without me issuing any command; like a daemon.
So my problem is still not fixed.

I'm beginning to wonder about exim. Before the system attempts to
connect, the following occurs in /var/log/syslog:

Mar 27 22:38:01 debian /USR/SBIN/CRON[4209]: (mail) CMD (  if [ -x
/usr/sbin/exim -a -f /etc/exim/exim.conf ]; then /usr/sbin/exim -q ; fi)

I thought exim simply interacts with /var/spool/mail and did not attempt
to create a connection. Maybe I'm wrong?

Any suggestion?
Thanks for you help,
Barry Mathieu