apt pin-priority and /etc/apt/preferences file

Hello, need help again.

Currently I have an all woody box and need to install some potato only
packages.

Current sources.list is

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib
non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main
contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
deb file:/root debs/

To get packages from stable I'd need to copy the above and change
'testing' to 'stable'

Then I'd need to create the preferences file which is my question.  Can
I simply touch preferences and add the following pinning data or do I
need to tell dpkg to scan the installed packages?  I ask because, for
instance I have qmail installed and wouldn't want apt to go and get exim
or reinstall portmapper and ftp if I'm fooling around with apt.

Will these two statements suffice or do I need to also list the packages
installed and give them a Pin-Priority: 100 or; pursuant that I want an
all woody box should I change the Pin-Priority of stable to 95?  That
way my woody packaging scheme will remain as-is and apt will get the
desired packages from stable, only if it can't find them in testing.

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *