Re: Kernel Panic help

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 10:36:54AM -0800, Paul Mackinney wrote:
> I thought rebuilding my kernel would be routine, but I can't get it to
> boot. Here's what I'm doing:

[ big snip ]

> But after 5+ tries I still can't boot from this thing. The error is
>
>   cramfs: bad magic
>   Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:08

For a non-initrd kernel to mount the root file system, it needs to have
the relevant bits compiled *into* the kernel (i.e. *not* as modules).

Looking at your lilo.conf, it looks like your root file system is on an
IDE disk (=/dev/hda8). What filesystem type is it? As far as I can see
you have ext2 as a module. If your root file system is ext2 then you
cannot have ext2 as a module...

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com