Re: make-dpkg: flavors and external modules

also sprach Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> [2002.03.26.2015 +0100]:
> >depmod -a is run at every boot.
>
> I though depmod just when through my list of modules to find the
> dependencies -- so that if I say load module modprobe foo it would know to
> load module bar first, if foo depended on bar.

correct.

> Let's say my I have a kernel without any modules -- everything compiled in.
>  If I then move to a modular kernel with, say, my NIC driver as a module
> how does the new kernel know to load that module without me telling it?

it does not. however, a non-modular kernel will not complain about an
entry like this in /etc/modutils/local.net:

  alias eth0 3c59x

and if you enable kmod, then you don't have to use /etc/modules

> Don't I need to run modconf first?

if you choose to go that way. i am the wrong person to talk to since
i don't like modconf and /etc/modules. they are kind of unnecessary...
and host of problems like this one...

> And going the other way, if I move from a module "m" to compiled in "y",
> then I assume if my old /etc/modules says to load that module it will see
> that it's already compiled in somehow?

it'll give you an error message about not being able to find the
module, but that's about it. purely cosmetic.

> I posted a week or so for a pointer that explains /etc/modules and
> /etc/modules.conf and how it all works, but without response.  Something
> that steps me though what happens at boot.

have a look at the modules HOWTO at linuxdoc.org.

/etc/modules is simply a file listing one module a line to be loaded
at startup. /etc/init.d/modutils will do the actual work of loading
the modules according to this file. it's started from
/etc/rcS.d/S20modutils during bootup.

> No, it's only provided by Nvidia.  I just followed the instructions at the
> Nvidia site:
>
>     http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=linux
>     http://205.158.109.140/XFree86_40/1.0-2802/README
>
> Which is:
>
> Instructions for the Impatient:
>
>         $ tar xvzf NVIDIA_kernel.tar.gz
>         $ tar xvzf NVIDIA_GLX.tar.gz
>         $ cd NVIDIA_kernel
>         $ make install
>         $ cd ../NVIDIA_GLX
>         $ make install

ugh! closed source.

> :/lib/modules/2.4.17/kernel$ find .

<list snipped>

none of these modules are kernel essential and you will be able to
boot into the console at least even after rm -rf /lib/modules/2.4.17.
don't do that though.

in the future, please honour my Mail-Followup-To header and don't
reply to me personally and the list. just the list will do!

the only real advantage to punk music is
that nobody can whistle it.