Re: make-dpkg: flavors and external modules

martin f krafft <madduck@madduck.net> writes:
> also sprach Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> [2002.03.26.2015 +0100]:
[snip]
> /etc/modules is simply a file listing one module a line to be loaded
> at startup. /etc/init.d/modutils will do the actual work of loading
> the modules according to this file. it's started from
> /etc/rcS.d/S20modutils during bootup.
>
> > No, it's only provided by Nvidia.  I just followed the instructions at
> the
> > Nvidia site:
> >
> >     http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=linux
> >     http://205.158.109.140/XFree86_40/1.0-2802/README
> >
> > Which is:
> >
> > Instructions for the Impatient:
> >
> >         $ tar xvzf NVIDIA_kernel.tar.gz
> >         $ tar xvzf NVIDIA_GLX.tar.gz
> >         $ cd NVIDIA_kernel
> >         $ make install
> >         $ cd ../NVIDIA_GLX
> >         $ make install

The best way to do this is to use the Debian nvidia-kernel-src and
nvidia-glx-src packages in the contrib/x11 section. At least under
testing and woody that's the best way.

> ugh! closed source.

Not really. The source is provided. I believe the issue is the
license restrictions on that source.

Gary