FW: 2 nics, 1 network, puzzle?

If you really want the fail-over capability, you should either use a
hardware 2-port NIC or have a software program monitor the two cards.

In the case of a software program,
	- assign a different IP to the second NIC card
	- have a program monitor the M2 registers of the primary
	NIC card to check for the link status.
	- if the link status is down, bring-down the primary and
	change the IP of the secondary.

The current behaviour what you see may be normal for linux networking
stack. I haven't done this, but don't rely on the bulbs - for sure!