Re: 2 nics, 1 network, puzzle?

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 18:28:37 -0600, Shawn Yarbrough wrote:

>So, you cram all three 10 Mbit/s network cards into the computer and hook
>it up to the network's 10/100 hub on three seperate ports.  You run an ftp
>server bound to eth0, a web server bound to eth1, and an IRC server bound
>to eth2.   Your fast computer is now a 30 Mbit/s server on a 100Mbit/s
>network.

Shawn, the basic fallacy in your plan is that the net is ~not~ parallel.
It is serial, and each packet (or bit, for that matter) must wait its
turn.  While card 1 is whipping out data, cards 2 & 3 are twiddling
their thumbs awaiting their turns to go down the wire.  Three cards do
not equal 3X speed, they equal the same speed, one-third of the time
each.

You could get parallel transmission by modulating discrete carriers.
For example, modulate red, green, and blue light with signals from cards
1, 2, & 3, respectively.  Then pump them through a fibre, and demod at
the other end.  But, I don't think that's what you have in mind.
--
gt
Everything here could be wrong--Messiah's Handbook--Bach